Breast Cancer Facts
Breast cancer is a disease in which cancer cells grow in the breast tissue.
An accurate diagnosis is obtained with mammograms, ultrasounds and breast tumor biopsies.
Breast Cancer Statistics
- 1 out of every 8 women has a risk of developing breast cancer in her lifetime.
- 1 out of 33 women with breast cancer develop complications which can result in loss of life.
The exact cause of breast cancer is unknown, but research shows that there are multiple risk factors are associated with the disease.
Note – Research has shown that most women with known risk factors do not get breast cancer and that many women who get breast cancer have none of the risk factors listed below.
- Personal or family history of breast cancer
- Changes in breast tissue
- More common in women than men, however both can be affected.
- 2nd leading cause of cancer death in women (second to lung cancer)
- Risk of breast cancer increases with age
- Approximately 77% of women with breast cancer are over age 50 when they are diagnosed
- 18% are diagnosed in their 40’s
- Increased exposure to estrogen over a lifetime through:
- Early onset of menstruation
- Late onset of menopause
- No childbearing or late childbearing
- Absence of breast feeding
- Taking hormone replacement therapy for extended periods of time
- Tobacco use
- Increased breast density
- Radiation therapy before the age of 30
- Overuse of alcohol
- Physical Inactivity
Prevention and Detection
- Self Breast Exam
- Women should perform monthly self breast exams to become familiar with their breast anatomy.
- Clinical Breast Exam by a Physician
- Breast exams should be performed by a medical professional once yearly.
- Routine annual mammograms, specifically for women 40 years of age and older.
- Breast MRI
- Breast Biopsy
Typical treatments of breast cancer include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and biologic therapy.
For more information regarding breast cancer please visit:
Breast Cancer Screening in New Smyrna Beach, FL
NSB MD is a primary care physician’s office located at 265 N Causeway New Smyrna Beach, FL 32169 – from breast cancer screening to routine physicals- we’ve got your health covered. Talk to us today by calling (386) 387-2202 or requesting an appointment online.